Sense Swap


The chill in the musty room tasted of sanitizer and metal. Swallowing hard on the bitter taste it left in my mouth, I shifted around in my seat trying to block out the clacking of the receptionists keyboard and the unbearably awkward silence that had grown between me and the man in the seat next to me.

We were set only inches away from each other, not by choice, but by necessity. In the shallow space that dared to call itself a waiting room, two stiff backed polyester and particle board chairs sat the only two in the tiny waiting room. The chairs were placed against the same wall as the receptionist's desk and faced the door of the clinic. To the man's credit, he had hesitated for a good minute before walking over to sit next to me. I assume he was trying to gauge what would be more awkward, staying where he was in front of the receptionist, blocking both the entrance door and the coat rack, or standing next to the seat by me, where he would have to hover above me and block the examination room door. Unlike me, he hadn't needed to wait for Arlene to snarl, "Have. A. Seat." before he shuffled defeatedly over to our socially awkward holding cells.

He coughed and shifted in his seat, releasing a new puff of warm piney cologne to hang in the air. His arm brushed mine briefly as he settled into a new and likely just as uncomfortable position, and mumbled what I can only assume was an attempt at an apology. I nodded my head in what I hoped was an attempt at an accepting dismissal.

As our mutual discomfort thickened, I considered breaking the tension by asking what he had chosen. Had he debated as I had about what they'd take? He'd have more than likely guessed why I was here in the first glance he gave me. This of course left me with a stark disadvantage the weight of which refused to let me open my mouth and break the silence.

"Laura." the receptionist barked from the counter ending our silent stand off.

"Yes?" I started, surprised at the volume of my own voice as it echoed off the walls, a wave of adrenaline coursed through me as I grabbed my things and stood.

"I apologize for the wait, it should only be a couple more minutes."

"Oh.. um okay.. I, uh..thanks." I could feel myself blush as I struggled back into my seat, redistributing my purse and paperwork, and to my dismay, elbowing my mystery man square in the chest. My heart sank as it became my turn to utter the shy apology.

"No worries, only fair really. Payback right?" He said, adding an ill-timed and disjointed chuckle near the end that hung in the air until both of us laughed genuinely.

I smirked, "You know, you could have avoided all of this by sitting somewhere else."

He laughed again, "On top of Arlene's desk? Have you seen the glares she's been throwing our way since we arrived?"

The awkward silence reared it's head as his sentence died on the last words. Hugging my walking cane closer to my chest, the words strengthening my spirit before they burst from my lips, "No, but I will."


(Response to Writers Digest Weekly Writing Prompt January 8, 2013)

Comments